Maruti had been trying to break out of the hatchback and the small sedan segment and move towards a little more premium segment. Maruti established in an attempt to create premium perception about there products. With this, Bringing in the Maruti Ciaz to the Nexa portfolio was delayed but an absolute right step.
Maruti has tried breaking into the premium sedan segment with earlier Baleno & later with the SX4 but both the attempts were as too successful. With Maruti Ciaz, Maruti has made sure the mistakes are not repeated. This executive sedan taken is the first from Maruti that has been able to threaten the position of the market leader Honda City. With the sales of over 1.7 lakhs since its launch, Maruti Ciaz has carved its niche in the market.
Maruti Ciaz: Exteriors
For Ciaz, Maruti went for a safe and a widely acceptable look. It is a conventional executive sedan without any over styling. Rather is a pleasant and a non offensive design. The front is quite subtle and with multi slat grille its quite evident a Maruti. The shoulder lines move smoothly supporting the big car look of the Maruti Ciaz. The rear of car has great resemblance to the Honda City.
Overall, it has a big car feel to it. And even by dimensions, it is the longest and the widest car in the segment.
|Dimensions (mm)||Maruti Ciaz||Honda City||Hyundai Verna|
Maruti Ciaz: Interiors
The interiors of Maruti Ciaz are very less Maruti like, which is a good thing. The faux leather seats with wooden trims, steering mounted controls and an integrated console give it’s a very upmarket feel. There are few plastic areas, but overall the interior feel is good, especially comparing it to the other Maruti cars.
The rear legroom is just too good, even with a very tall person in the driving wheel, there is generous space at the back. Also, there is ample boot space of 510 ltr.
Engine & Drive
The Maruti Ciaz is available in both the petrol and diesel variant. Also, there is automatic Petrol variant available.
The petrol engine for Maruti Ciaz is 1373cc producing 91.1 bhp, and the diesel engine for the car is 1248cc, producing 88.5 bhp. But the most fascinating thing about Maruti Ciaz is launch of Hybrid technology to the segment, Maruti calls it SHVS, i.e., Smart Hybrid Vehicle by Suzuki. Well it is not exactly a hybrid, it does not run on an electric motor or anything. However, it has three key features:
- The Start Stop Feature, With this feature the engine of the car shuts within few seconds of car coming to complete halt, the feature deactivates itself the moment driver presses the clutch.
- Brake Energy Regeneration, with this feature when you press the brakes & decelerate the cat, the energy is used to charge the batteries that assist the start stop function, therefore improving the efficiency.
- Torque Assist Function, the regeneration of energy assists the torque function of the car. This helps the engine in providing optimal acceleration and performance.
Overall the drive of the car is smooth, it is a good car to drive as well as to be driven around in. As it is a Maruti, the mileage comes as a part of basic proposition . Company claims a mileage of 20.73 kmpl for the Petrol Variant and 28.09 for its highly fuel efficient SHVS Diesel Variant. Whereas user claimed mileage for the petrol variant is approximately 16kmpl and for the diesel variant is 22 kmpl to 25 kmpl.
The Maruti Ciaz is available INR 7.76 lakhs onwards.
- Introduction of Hybrid Vehicle in the segment (At least someone is thinking green)
- The look & feel of a big sedan
- Space Inside
- Interiors better than other Maruti Cars.
- No option for diesel automatic.
- Hybrid variant is available only in Diesel, which means automatic ang Hybrid combination is not a possibility